1. I will try to blog more. Occasionally, I will get an email from a friend that asks why I haven't blogged in a long time. Well, to that friend, this resolution is for you.
2. I am going to use the dishwasher less. Sounds weird, I know. I want to do this for a few reasons: First, obviously to be earth-conscious and to preserve water. My Dad will be so proud. Second, I enjoy hand-washing dishes. My father-in-law will be beaming. And finally, it gives my children an opportunity to help out. Dishes were an everyday chore when I was growing up. There are few things that I know how to do very well and washing dishes is one of them. I think my wife is grateful.
3. I want to eat healthier. For the most part, I don't do too bad in this category. I have been re-inspired however by watching home movies of me about 10 years ago. I was a blimp. Literally. I looked like I should have been floating over a college bowl game. In recent years, I have dropped some weight and am at a comfortable place. However, if I continue to eat ice cream late at night like last night, I am afraid I will not be in such a good place.
4. I want to be less critical of other people. Again, watching home movies the other day, I was so annoyed with myself at how many times I corrected others or asked somebody to move out of the way, or told somebody to do something. I was nagging, and it was so unbelievably annoying. I really don't want to be like that.
5. I want to worry less about money. My wife will tell you that I absolutely am the worst in the world when it comes to worrying about money, and I probably am. One solution is to make gobs and gobs of money and then I wouldn't have to worry. Barring that, I want to be comfortable with the fact that we live comfortably and can pay all of our bills. This one will be tough for me but I am going to work on it.
6. I want to do my Church calling better. I try really hard to do the best I can at this - but, I feel like I always come up a little short of where I should be. In any case, I am going to make a bigger effort this year to be better at my calling.
7. Finally, I want to be more kind. Those of you that know me are saying, "More kind? Is that even possible? You are already so kind." Seriously, I want to be nicer. To my wife. To my kids. To my extended family. I want it to be said of me that I am a nice guy. I am not sure that is currently the case. So, my motto for 2011 will be: Be Kind.
These most certainly are not earth-shattering resolutions - and they certainly are not the only ones that I am making - just the only ones that I felt were bloggable. If you are my friend, please help me keep my resolutions. Please call me on the things that I should be doing that I am not. Happy 2011 to all of you.