Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Down with the Baseball Haters!!!

Anybody that knows me is well aware of my obsession with Major League Baseball. I love the crack of the bat, the smell of dirt and leather, the roar of the crowd, sunflower seeds, a sharply turned double play and even a well executed sacrifice bunt. So, with the start of the World Series tonight, I need to get something off of my chest.

I read an online article today about the D-Backs parting ways with Eric Byrnes (good riddance) and then I made the mistake of reading some of the reader comments. Most of the commenters are complete idiots. One such idiot commented that nobody cares about baseball because it is just so slow and so boring and that the games take forever, blah blah blah blah blah. What a tool.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother-in-law a week ago, who shall remain nameless (Matt Peel). He was over at our home and I was watching the National League Championship Series and he made the comment that this was the only time of the year that baseball was entertaining. I think I replied with something along the lines of: "You are a tool."

Seriously though, in my opinion, anybody who subscribes to the philosophy that baseball is only entertaining during the playoffs SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO WATCH IT!! I agree with Matt; there is no better playoffs in any organized sports than the ALCS, the NLCS and the World Series. However, if you don't watch a single baseball game all year and then decide that you will become a fan only when it is the most exciting, you are not worthy to watch, and you might be a tool.

Down with the baseball haters, I say! You can have your college football, your NFL and even the 1st two weeks of the NBA season. Leave baseball alone - it is America's pasttime and it is brilliant all 162 regular season games as well. Down with the haters!

4 comments:

Cameron said...

Chad, you are just dead wrong, though I am not a baseball hater - just one of many that prefer other sports most of the year.

Probably the biggest reason people go to baseball games from april to august (140 of the 162 games) is becuase basketball and football aren't in season. Not that baseball isn't entertaining (it can be), but it pales in comparison to other major sports. And the season is too long and there are too many games.

Also, you are wrong on the best playoffs aspect. the baseball playoffs cannot compare to the drama, passion, and excitement of MARCH MADNESS. Single elimination. Cinderella hopes. Upsets. It's all there, and your team has to be perfect to win it all - no second chances.

And I don't think you're a tool if you disagree, you're still wrong.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I agree with you on the March Madness deal. My two favorite days of the year are the first Thursday and Friday of March Madness.

But, your thoughts on baseball classify you as a tool.

Michelle Cherrington said...

Be nice boys. Nobody's a tool. I don't even know what that means. Do we need to hug it out at the trunk or treat? :)

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Can women be tools?