Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Top Ten Women

For most of my life, I have been surrounded by women. It's not what you think; I am definitely a 'one woman man', but I have been so heavily influenced by wonderful women in my life. There was an article in the Ensign last month about the influence of good, righteous women and it has made me think about the wonderful women in my life. Here are my top ten:


10. Wonderful women in the wards where I have grown up and lived who I won't mention by name - I absolutely could not begin to name names of the wonderful women who have taught me as I have grown up. I would forget somebody, and they would be offended and I would feel bad. If it were not for these women, my testimony of the Gospel would not be where it is today. I am so grateful to the wonderful women of the Church.


9. My cousin Shannon - I think Shannon would be surprised to know that she is on this list. I haven't seen Shannon in a long time and have rarely talked to her over the last several years. Shannon, much like me, grew up with nothing but siblings of the opposite gender. I have four sisters, she had FIVE brothers. I have always felt close to her and can recall wonderful memories with her in several different times during my life. I remember the flood at Yosemite - I look back on that disaster of a trip and smile. (Shannon would probably not smile at that memory) Shannon lived with us for a time in Arizona and I remember those times fondly. I loved being in Utah with Shannon for a time and getting to spend time with her there. I have admired Shannon from afar and how she is raising a wonderful family in the Gospel. She has been an inspiration to me, even though she probably doesn't know it.

8. Michelle's Grandma Rowley - Grandma Rowley is such a wonderful woman. She has been so generous with her time and her love and her means. My family could never begin to repay her for all that she has done for us. She absolutely adores my children and makes them feel so special and loved. I love Grandma Rowley for how she loves me and my family and my children.

7. My Aunt Sheryl - I haven't seen my Aunt Sheryl in a long time. I sure miss her. She has had such a strong influence in my life. She always has the kindest words for me and makes me feel so good about myself. (She calls me Chaddy) I love my memories of going to Chatsworth and spending time with Aunt Sheryl and Uncle Rog and all of my cousins. I especially love my memories of going to Yosemite with her and her family. I look forward to when I can see my Aunt Sheryl again.

6. My sisters-in-law Nabby and Carrie - there are many things I admire about these two ladies. First of all, they are both beautiful inside and out. They both inspire me to take better care of my body (Nabby's brother owns a health company that has recently helped me to lose 20 pounds and Carrie and I occasionally take fitness classes together). They are both wonderful mothers and are doing their best to raise their children righteously in the Gospel. Carrie, Nabby and I share one common thing: we are the ones who married the Hazar kids. It takes a special breed to be a Hazar in-law. (Just joking - it actually is wonderful to be a part of this family) Finally, I consider Carrie and Nabby to not only be family who I love, but also my good friends; each of them in their own way makes me feel better about myself and makes me want to be better.

5. My Grandma Julia - Just thinking about this woman makes me laugh and smile. I loved her so much. I loved spending time with her. I had the unique privilege of being around her during the last years of her life and got to spend so much time with her. She always said the funniest things and made me feel so good about myself. The funnest times I had with her were during the last couple weeks of her life, laying in bed with her, watching videos, eating Creamies and laughing until my stomach hurt. My daughter is named after her and I think about my Grandma everyday when I call to her. (Apologies to my Grandma Ruth - who I will also name a daughter after. Grandma Ruth died when I was so very young that I don't remember her all that well. I do remember walking with her and eating Trident gum. I am sure she will have a powerful influence on me someday.)

4. Candace Hazar - what can I say about Candace? Unless you know her and have felt of her warm kindnesses, there isn't a good way to describe her. In my over 12 years of being a part of the Hazar family, I have never felt like an in-law; I have always felt like I belonged in this family. I attribute most of that to Candace. She is always willing to lend a helping hand with the kids and is so generous with her time and her love. She is a wonderful grandmother who loves her grandchildren unconditionally, even when their parents might not. She is absolutely devoted to her family, and more recently, I have been able to be a witness to her absolute devotion to the Gospel and in particular, her Church callings (not that she wasn't before, but recently I have gotten to witness this firsthand in my calling in the ward). I love her and am so grateful for her and her example to me and my family.

3. My Sisters - I was blessed with four sisters and zero brothers. Most of my childhood years, I was surrounded by girls. My Mom, my sisters, their friends - mostly women. As I grew up, I always thought I had been cursed; now I see the error of my ways. All four of my sisters are very intelligent, accomplished, spiritual women who are wonderful examples to me in many different ways. Some are funny (not as funny as me) others are serious. Some are wonderful athletes and physical specimens and inspire me to be fit. Each of them has a powerful testimony of the Gospel and magnifies her calling in the Church, wherever it is she serves. I don't tell them this often enough, but I have learned so many things from each one of them. Don't get me wrong, we rarely see eye-to-eye on everything and we frequently disagree on important things; but at the end of the day, I am proud of each of them and their wonderful families. I definitely would not be who I am today if I had brothers instead of sisters.

2. Mom - Elder David A. Bednar gave a talk a few years ago entitled "Tender Mercies" in which he stated that "the Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from the Lord, Jesus Christ." I believe that my Mother has always been and will continue to be the most significant "tender mercy" that the Lord has given me. Last night, as I spoke to her about tomorrow's impending baby birth, she assured me that she would do absolutely whatever we needed and be wherever we needed her to be. That is the way it has always been with Mom. Whatever I have needed, she has done. Wherever I have needed her to be, she has been there. I am so grateful to be her only son.

1. Michelle - I continue to be amazed at my wife. Hopefully, she knows how much I love her and appreciate all that she does for me and our family. As most people know, she is about to give birth to our 4th child tomorrow (she is being induced early tomorrow morning) and I continue to be amazed at how she handles everything that is thrown her way. She is the most amazing mother and the support and encouragement that I receive from her is unmatched. She is the best friend that I could ask for; she puts up with all my weaknesses and flaws and loves me unconditionally. I am not nearly the husband and father that I should be or hope to be someday, but if there is one thing that I appreciate the most about Michelle, it is that she makes me want to be a better person. I love her with all my heart and has influenced me more than any other person in the world.

Wonderful, powerful women in this world are plentiful, I believe far more plentiful than wonderful men. I don't think I could come up with a list of ten men like this so easily. Thank you to the wonderful women in my life and for wonderful women everywhere.

8 comments:

Michelle Cherrington said...

Oh boy - if you think your last post made me cry, you should see me now. I'm a mess!! Doesn't help that I'm 9 months pregnant and weepy today anyway.

Such beautiful thoughts about women that I love and admire, too. I am grateful for all of them as well, because I know you are a better man because of the way they have all taught you and touched you in your life. You are definitely a "ladies man" - always have been. But, I absolutely love it because I know the deep respect and love you feel towards women after being surrounded by so many strong ones throughout your life.

I love you and can't wait to see you with our new baby girl!

Nikki said...

Well said Chad. :)

Good luck tomorrow you guys! Hope everything goes smoothly and pictures are posted promptly!

Congratulations!

Shannon said...

Wow Chad. I am speechless. Nikki text me saying I needed to check out your blog and says you mentioned me. I text her back saying that I was surprised by that :) Guess you know me well!
To say I am crying would be an understatement. I am so touched by your words not only about me, but my mom, your sisters, Michelle and your mom. I love them all so much too. Your mom has always been like a mom to me and I love her dearly.
Love you Chaddy baby!

Anonymous said...

Ok Chaddy....you have done it now...I am a mess...you know how I cry when tender happenings happen and one just happend...my heart is so touched by your words and thoughts, and I feel honored that you would feel that way. I am also very honored to be counted amoung all those wonderful women in your life...very humbling to say the least.
But ya know I love ya kiddo..and always have...it is always a thrill to see ya and hug ya...and you are so stinkin' funny it is just a joy to be around you...hope we can get together soon for some huggin' and laughin'.
Much love and well wishes are sent your way for the new one just getting ready to enter the world. You and Michelle sure have a good recipe going. My love to you and your sweet companiion and family. And thank you for loving me.

Carrie Hazar said...

Chad- Thanks for all of your kind words...I am speechless to have made the top ten list! I feel like we have a little bond because I grew up with all brothers so I know how it is to try to hold your own in a house full of the opposite sex! It does completely mold the person who you become. I love you so much too and think of you as just another brother in my life...at least you tease me like one and are good for a few laughs here and there. Good luck tomorrow! We can't wait to meet our newest little niece! I already just love her to pieces! XOXO

Jan Ridd said...

Chad... who knew you could be so tender. I loved reading this blog. You are amazing! Give my love to Michelle and the new baby girl. Hope you will post some pictures. Love ya, Aunt Jan

Louise said...

Chad, I loved your tributes to the women in your life. There is a real blessing in sharing these feelings with people while they are still here with you. What a powerful gift you have given them by sharing your love and admiration for them. You have had fabulous women in your life, and I am thankful to know many of them, especially those in your family. :

Nabby Hazar said...

Wow thank you!! i am just reading this now. I never knew someone was giving me compliments that I didn't know about. I came on here looking for a before and after picture, and I found something even better. If it means anything Clara on occasion says you are her favorite uncle.