Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lifestyle Change is Hard

Last night, Tyler and I went to the Cardinal Preseason Game with some family. It was a great time - the game wasn't so good, for the first 3 quarters, they got worked. They were down 38-10 at halftime and it was nasty. Enter Matt Leinart. 360 yards passing and 4 straight touchdowns later, they had an extra point to tie it with 37 seconds left in the game. It was a great comeback. Instead of tying the game, they went for 2 and the win. Unfortunately, they couldn't convert and ended up losing the game, but it was very fun to witness. This is not what I am posting about.

For the last week, I have been on this new nutritional and workout regimen. It has been fairly difficult. As previously posted, I love to eat; it's one of my favorite things to do. Anway, I have been so good all week, I haven't cheated and I have followed my diet to the letter. I have done my workouts religiously and have done everything that has been asked of me. Enter Cardinals game and Univ. of Phoenix Stadium.

One of my favorite things to do is go watch a game, any kind of game. I love baseball the most, basketball is great to watch and I am learning to love football. I love sitting at the park or stadium or arena with way overpriced, greasy, fatty foods with my family and enjoy watching the world's best athletes compete in their preferred sport. (I have always found it quite ironic that the type of food that is served at professional sporting events would never be consumed in a million years by the athletes who are actually participating in the sporting events)

Anyway, we arrived at the game and I was slightly hungry. I knew I was going to be there for about 4 hours and that waiting it out wasn't going to be an option. Tyler was hungry, but not starving. So, just before halftime, I went to the concession stand to see what they offered. I was blown away; not only by the types of food and how unhealthy they are, but the exorbitant prices that were being charged. A hot dog? $7. One hot dog. A pretzel, one pretzel? $5. Large Coke? $6. I couldn't believe it. My personal favorite item - Twizzlers. One package of Twizzlers that sell for $1.50 at the store? $8. Unbelievable.

I was in a bind - I had to eat, but I didn't want to go crazy. I thought of getting the Cardinal burger for $8, but I didn't want to undo all the good I had done this week. The chicken strips and fries looked particularly good for $9, but I passed. I almost pulled the trigger on a giant hot dog; I love hot dogs. They are wonderful. But it seemed silly to buy a $7 hot dog when I could get the same hot dog, plus a drink at Costco for $1.50. I settled on a small bag of popcorn for $3 for Tyler and a frozen lemonade cup for $3.50 for me. I only spent $6.50 and I still had my dignity. Nobody said lifestyle change was going to be easy.

Update on my weight this morning - 217.2 pounds, 19.7 percent body fat (tested at the gym this morning by some guy who pinched me so hard with these calipers that I think I am bleeding internally)

No comments: