Saturday, September 5, 2009

Are the Cards Who We Thought They Were?

A couple of years ago, when Dennis Green was still the coach of the Cardinals, he had one of the greatest postgame rants ever recorded on video. His lowly Cardinals had just absolutely broken the hearts of Cards fans everywhere on a Monday night home game against the Chicago Bears by basically handing them the game after having it won. They truly stole defeat from the jaws of victory. It was pathetic.

After the game, Denny Green let loose with his now famous tirade about the Chicago Bears, "The Bears are who we thought they were!!!" He said it like 10 times; it was an instant classic. He was also out of a job at the end of the season because the Cardinals that year were exactly who we thought they were: a very bad team.

After last year's unexpected and glorious run to the Super Bowl, I have very high hopes for the Cards this year. They should have one of the more potent offenses in recent NFL history. They have who I consider to be one of the brightest coaches in the NFL right now. They also have a new running back in Beanie Wells, who if he stays healthy, has no limits. Their defense pretty much is the same as last year; logically speaking, this means they should be better because they are a year older and have all that playoff experience under their belts.

Having said all that, the Cardinals have looked lethargic at best during the preseason. Their first string offense has been horrible, although Matt Leinart has looked fantastic on the 2nd team and their running game is much improved. Their defense has been absolutely abysmal; they can't stop anyone. Needless to say, I am a little worried about this team. It seems to me that they believe they can just flip the switch when they need to and be that same great team from last year, and I am afraid that no such switch exists.

The one bright hope that I have in this team is their coach, Ken Whisenhunt. I believe him to be much smarter and far more dedicated a coach than Dennis Green or any of his predecessors. I think he has a way of motivating this team, although they have seemed very unmotivated the last 4 weeks.

My question to the reading audience is: Are the Cardinals going to be who we think they can be? Or will they revert back to the Cardinals of old: a huge, fat disappointment? I sure hope they can start playing like the Cards of last year, because I believe that deep down, Phoenix is a football city waiting to erupt.

Update on my weight: 215.4 pounds, 19.4% body fat, 36 inch waist (I started at 38). I am feeling pretty good.

No comments: