Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Niece's Blessing

Today being the first Sunday in September, it was Fast and Testimony meeting in our ward. It is the Sunday that is customarily used for the blessing of newborn babies. As such, my new niece Mackenzie was blessed today in their ward by her father TJ. Unfortunately, I also had to conduct the Sacrament meeting in our ward today.

So, after our Sacrament Meeting today, so that I could be a part of Mackenzie's blessing, I jumped in my car and rushed to the Cave Creek building, which is about 40 minutes north of the Stake Center, where our ward meets. I had to hurry to get there so I wouldn't miss it and honestly, I wasn't looking forward to the drive. I walked in just before the meeting started and squeezed into the pew next to Michelle.

The Bishop called TJ and Mackenzie up to be blessed, along with all the other family members that had been invited to be in the circle. We went to the front, formed a circle around Mackenzie, and something very special happened. I am not sure if anybody else in the circle or congregation noticed, but I did and I am sure TJ noticed as well.

Mackenzie was a little fussy and began to cry softly. Having blessed three of my own children, I know the stress that this can cause. There is nothing more difficult than trying to feel the promptings of the Spirit when blessing your child, who you love more than anything and want to bless with everything that is appropriate and good, and she is crying. This happened to me in at least one of my child's blessings. As TJ laid Mackenzie into our hands and we began to rythmically bounce her (because that's all we know how to do), she spit out her pacifier and began to cry again, a little louder and I knew that this would be distracting to TJ.

Instead of putting my hand under the baby, I took her pacifier and put it in her mouth and held it there as softly as I could and kind of cradled her head to try and calm her down. She continued to wimper a little bit and it wasn't until TJ actually started the blessing and she could hear his voice that she calmed down and stopped crying.

Because I was holding her head and her pacifier, I actually kept my eyes open most of the blessing. I know it's not the reverent thing to do, but I didn't want to choke her with the pacifier or accidentally poke her in the eye or something. It was the coolest experience to watch Mackenzie, whose eyes were open and were fixed on TJ the entire blessing, and I knew that she knew who was speaking to her. She didn't make a sound for the entire blessing and TJ was able to concentrate calmly and listen to the promptings of the Spirit and give a beautiful blessing.

After the blessing, as is customary in the LDS Church, I took the pacifier from Mackenzie so that TJ could hold her up and show her to the ward much like Mufasa did with Simba in the Lion King. I handed TJ the pacifier, he gently kissed Mackenzie on the forehead and I made the 40 minute drive back to our ward to attend to my responsibilities. I am thankful not only for the priesthood that allows fathers like myself and TJ the blessing of being able to bless our children, but also for a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to allow me to have spiritual experiences when I least expect them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful experience. Amazing the spirit these little guys have with them. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie Hazar said...

Way to make me cry Chad! Seriously though, thank you so much for writing this sweet memory down...it is going in Mackenzie's baby book (whenever I get a chance to make one that is...right after Madison's and Cali's!). I have to admit, I was so nervous as TJ walked up there with Mackenzie because I knew she was a little fussy and I was so grateful she was able to calm down so TJ could concentrate. He gave her a wonderful blessing and I am so glad you were able to be a part of it. She is a lucky girl to have so much family around who all love her so much and who honor their priesthood. Thanks for making the long drive out to the desert on such a busy day. We sure love our Uncle Chad!