Monday, June 29, 2009

Bad News Backs

I mentioned in a previous post that the D-Backs are suffering through a bad season because of various reasons: injury, offensive woes, managment, etc. I would like to retract that statement after this weekend's series with the Angels and replace it with the following assertion: The Arizona Diamondbacks suck. Bad. Real bad.

There have been several moments during this season where I have decided in a fit of fury that I will not watch this team anymore because it is just too maddening, only to return to watching them because of my passion for baseball. However, I decided yesterday, after the absolute embarrassment that was the top of the 5th inning, what I was watching WASN'T BASEBALL. I cannot watch them anymore.

For those of you that didn't watch the ill-fated 5th inning of yesterday's game, it started with a fairly routine groundball to shortstop. Stephen Drew picked it up, made a perfect throw to 1st baseman Mark Reynolds. It hit him right in the glove, and he dropped it. Just dropped it. Error number 1. Then, the AL pitcher, who never hits, EVER, singled to left field. Then, a hard hit ground ball to third was bobbled which cost the D-Backs a run. It wasn't counted as an error, because he actually recorded an out. Then, a fairly hard hit line drive was hit right at Justin Upton - I mean right at him. It glanced off his glove and rolled to the wall - I mean, I honestly thought I was seeing things. Another run scored on the D-Backs 2nd error of the inning (actually 3rd if you counted the 3rd baseman's bobble). At that point, the D-Backs were still in the game so they pulled the infield in to stop the runner on third from scoring. What happened next was so spectacular, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. Ground ball RIGHT AT the 2nd baseman, Felipe Lopez. I mean, he didn't have to move one step in either direction. The ball went right through his legs. It was so ridiculous that even the homer D-Back announcers starting bagging on the team. 1 hit by a pitcher, 3 errors (actually 4), 3 runs scored, 1 out recorded. The pitcher, Max Scherzer, got pulled, the new pitcher came in, threw 3 pitches and gave up a two run homer. Game over.

If it weren't so laughable, I probably would have cried. The Bad News D-Backs were swept by the Angels and not only have the 2nd worst record in Major League Baseball, but also have more errors than any other team IN THE WORLD. I honestly don't think I can watch them again this season. It's too painful.

2 comments:

momab said...

Oh my gosh, Kirk and I were at the Saturday game, talk about a fiasco. When one of the angel players got an inside the park home run on a bunt. 3 errors were involved in that, unbelievable. Yes it is pretty painful being an Dbacks fan. I will probably go back to being an Angels fan, since by the way I did graduate @ Angel Stadium back in the 70's. Yes and that was when the big A was inside the park and not out in the parking lot.

Greg Garrick said...

Dodgers baby! LA could revisit 1988 and have a Lakers & Dodgers championship year.