Friday, June 26, 2009

Why Arizona Sports Stinks (Right Now)

Before I rant for a minute, I would like to publicly thank my sister Wendi for becoming my first of what I am sure to be millions of "followers" of my blog. I am going to figure out a way to hang a picture of Wendi on my blog - much like a small privately owned business frames their first earned dollar on the wall next to their business license.

It's really no fun to be an Arizona sports fan right now. My favorite NBA team, the Suns, just finished a woefully dismal season, where they didn't make the playoffs, traded Shaq (OK - no complaints on that one), and are about to trade away a 25 year old Amare Stoudemire coming into his prime for pretty much nobody all in the name of cutting salary and saving money . . . . er . . . . I mean rebuilding. It's pathetic. The Suns can expect to be a lottery team for at least a few years. Meanwhile, who is the best team in the NBA??? The Los Angeles Lakers. I hate L.A. sports teams.

My favorite MLB team, the Diamondbacks, are suffering through one of the most brutal seasons I can remember in terms of injuries, bullpen meltdowns, offensive inadequacies and inept management - not only in the front office, but the dugout as well. (Bob Melvin got hosed and AJ Hinch is a moron) They are currently 17 games out of first place and cellar dwellers in the NL West. Meanwhile, who is the best team in baseball right now??? The Los Angeles Dodgers. And the D-Backs got waxed again tonight 12 - 3 by who??? The Anaheim Angels. Did I mention how much I hate L.A. sports teams??

The ASU Sun Devils yesterday lost their only hope of winning the PAC 10 as James Harden was taken #3 in the NBA draft. Who will probably win the PAC 10 - you guessed it. UCLA or USC. At least he wasn't drafted by the L.A. Clippers. Yeah, I hate the Clippers too.

The Coyotes, who honestly I could care less about, are in bankruptcy and about to be sold to an owner who wants to move them to Canada. Too bad - I guess. The next time I watch a Coyotes game will be the first. I wish they would move to L.A.

The only thing we have to hang our hat on right now, ironically enough, is the Arizona Cardinals. I honestly never thought that Arizona's best hope for a professional sports championship would be the Cardinals, but that is the reality. They have an excellent coach, a terrific offense with the best passing game in the NFL (all due respect to Tom Brady) and they are poised to make another run at the Super Bowl. Thank goodness that L.A. doesn't have an NFL franchise.

So for now, I sit depressed at the thought of the Suns in the lottery, the D-Backs losing 100 games, the Coyotes in Canada (well, not so much) and the Sun Devils in the NIT. However, the Cardinals give me reason for hope - and the fact that Clippers will always be terrible. Always.

13 comments:

Bret said...

The Suns made the mistake of thinking they could build a championship team in a couple of years by starting from scratch. I love Nash, but he's as old as we are (and I've seen us both play). The chance was two years ago and they blew it on Shaq. Terry Porter was the next big mistake.

I also hate LA team (Lakers most of all). Of course, my fav NFL team is the Rams, and they were back in LA in the day. It was great when they won the Superbowl with a young QB and the greatest show on turf. Let's hope he can bring that magic back to AZ for another year.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Is this Brett? I like the name Darth Wall - it suits you well. I didn't know it was you until I read your profile and the Pacers were on there. Dead giveaway.

Nikki said...

It's much easier for people to follow you if you put the following gadget in your page. Then your numbers will really skyrocket ;)

Nikki said...

Maybe you should move here and be a fan of the Bills and the Sabres. ;)

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

Still learning Nikki - I will get the following gadget on my page. Thanks for the tip - and no, I will not be moving to Buffalo anytime soon. Too COLD.

Carrie Hazar said...

I am not sure how I feel about this blog...I am not going to become a "follower" until my name is personally mentioned lovingly in a post...

Mom said...

It's nice to have a place to say that I hate the Lakers too and I don't even have a reason - I think it is because they are so cocky along with their fans. I guess California needs to have something to brag about - everything else there seems to be in the tank. I had no idea the DB were doing so terrible either. I only follow my grandchildren's sports teams - and they are ALWAYS the best. :) You are too funny, Chad - you should be a sports writer. Then I often thought that your dad missed his calling too - as he loves sports and is also such a good writer. I'm anxious to read your next post - how do I get to have my picture as a follower?? :)

Mom said...

I just figured out how to be a follower - takes me awhile.

Natty said...

If I am a follower does that mean I have to own you as a brother?

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I am hoping that some editor will read my posts and decide that his publication cannot survive without my witty commentary. I would love to be a journalist of some type - I love to write. Actually, I don't really love to write; I just love to have people listen to me. I love the attention.

Natalie, someday you will be proud to own me as a brother. When I am dead.

Nikki said...

Cold is not a bad thing WIMP ;)

Greg Garrick said...

Lakers baby 15x champions! It is so great to be a fan of such a winning and fun franchise. I wish you could know how it feels.

Dodgers will be next after a long droubt.

Greg Garrick said...

The Clippers are not good enough to hate.