Saturday, June 27, 2009

There Will Never be Another King of Pop

When I heard about the untimely death of Michael Jackson, as most people, I was saddened but not shocked. If there is a more tragic figure in my entertainment lifetime, I would like to know who it is. (All due respect to Aaliyah, Tupac, the Notorious BIG and that Left Eye chick from TLC) At first, I didn't think that I would be all that affected by his passing; I mean he really hasn't put out a good album since . . . well . . . since he transformed himself into a creepy white woman.

However, today Michelle and I took the kids swimming and as we swam, we listened to nothing but Michael's music, sort of as a tribute. Most of it was from the Thriller album - released 27 years ago when I was 8 years old. As we listened and watched our kids dance and sing along to the music (even Justin, who just turned 3, was grooving to PYT), I came to the realization that some music reaches across generations and transcends time. Song after song after song came on and Michelle I would look at each other and say, "I love this song".

As I got home this morning from helping a new lady in our ward move into her new home, Michelle was watching what seemed to be some type of documentary on MC Hammer (another tragic figure). He has to be about 45 or 50 years old and he was singing (well, sort of singing/rapping/breathing heavy) Hammer Time. I said to myself, "I can't believe I used to love this song". MC Hammer's music, although it was good in its time, is a good example of music that does NOT transcend time.

The genius of Michael Jackson is that his music will ALWAYS be great - no matter when or where you live. He will always be The King of Pop, and there will NEVER be another like him.

4 comments:

Michelle Cherrington said...

Okay - might I clarify that I happened to flip to "Hammertime" today and was in disbelief that MC Hammer now has his own reality show. I could only watch for 3 minutes. It was not good, although I still want to do the running man everytime I hear "Can't Touch This."

I agree about Michael Jackson. He is such a music legend and has influenced so many musicians, dancers, and performers that we love today. So many good memories of childhood and growing up come to mind whenever I listen to his music. I did once own a white glove, too. Wish I still had it.

It was adorable seeing the kids dance to all his music today. They hadn't really heard of him before this week, but were instantly groovin' to the beat. Julia was even singing along to "Beat It." Good times!

Nikki said...

My sentiments exactly. Every song, dance, video, production was genius. Pure natural talent. I'm glad he got to share so much with us. I'm sad his fame and sharing his talents ended up taking such a toll on him mentally, physically, emotionally, etc...
Every song brings back so many good memories from so many stages of my life- childhood through to young adulthood. Every song is either pure fun or has a really good message. My kids have loved his music their whole lives too. (Though they are scared of him whenever they see more recent pictures of him- his poor nose!)

I don't know what happened with him and those kids and the charges brought against him. I suppose we'll never really know fro sure- and I'm glad it's not my job to judge his actions. In the end, I'm glad his talent and genius and innovation will overshadow his tragedy.

Tyler James said...

When I was reading this Julia was saying " Justin calls Michael Jackson, Uncle Jackson" Which is still pretty funny.

Robert A M said...

I concur with your overall depiction of Michael Jackson. I grew up in Santa Barbara, CA and on a personnel level he seemed to have an eccentrically challenged personality that was deeply rooted by personal conflict. However, his artistic talent was truly represented by his produced music “it was and continues to be off the charts.” Mr. Jackson’s talent transcends above all other POP stars in quality and in achievements. I have yet to meet a person that can’t recall his name and can’t associate him with one of his catchy and time-tested POP songs. It has been written that he has created several foundations, supported more than 30 charities, was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and received at least two Guinness World Records. In a worldly since he was a magnificent artist and like Picasso, Liberace, Bach and Elvis he was wacky and sometimes menacing from excessive success, but the art produced will be remembered.